Sourcing Renewables, Wind - January 24, 2022
Meta Signs PPA for Iowa Wind Project
Meta announced it executed a power purchase agreement for the Great Pathfinder Wind, a 225 MW project located in Boone and Hamilton Counties in central Iowa.
The PPA was signed with Apex Clean Energy and the wind project will help Meta continue supporting its global operations with 100% renewable energy. Great Pathfinder Wind is expected to begin commercial operations in 2022.
Great Pathfinder Wind will help support Meta’s operations in the region, including its data center campus in Altoona, Iowa, which recently announced an expansion in December 2021. The data center project will represent an investment of more than $2.5 billion and support over 400 jobs.
“We are proud to partner with Apex to continue bringing new renewable energy resources, investment, and jobs to Iowa through this new wind project,” said Urvi Parekh, director of renewable energy at Meta in a statement. “Iowa’s ability to host high-quality wind projects, while providing a welcoming business environment, has made it a great home for our data center, and we hope this investment demonstrates our continued commitment to the state and the local community.”
Great Pathfinder Wind will create significant local benefits in Boone and Hamilton Counties, generating approximately $32 million in local tax revenue and $74 million in payments to landowners.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: Renewables Pit Google Against Utilities; Wind Power on Mars
- Weekend Reads: US emissions 2022, the good and bad news; Electricity state-by-state
- Weekend Reads: CA Scored Highest For Efficiency; How Wind Power Can Benefit Shipping Emissions
- Weekend Reads: USPS Goes Electric; The RE Revolution in America's Heartland