Sourcing Renewables, Wind - January 24, 2022
Meta Signs PPA for Iowa Wind Project
Meta announced it executed a power purchase agreement for the Great Pathfinder Wind, a 225 MW project located in Boone and Hamilton Counties in central Iowa.
The PPA was signed with Apex Clean Energy and the wind project will help Meta continue supporting its global operations with 100% renewable energy. Great Pathfinder Wind is expected to begin commercial operations in 2022.
Great Pathfinder Wind will help support Meta’s operations in the region, including its data center campus in Altoona, Iowa, which recently announced an expansion in December 2021. The data center project will represent an investment of more than $2.5 billion and support over 400 jobs.
“We are proud to partner with Apex to continue bringing new renewable energy resources, investment, and jobs to Iowa through this new wind project,” said Urvi Parekh, director of renewable energy at Meta in a statement. “Iowa’s ability to host high-quality wind projects, while providing a welcoming business environment, has made it a great home for our data center, and we hope this investment demonstrates our continued commitment to the state and the local community.”
Great Pathfinder Wind will create significant local benefits in Boone and Hamilton Counties, generating approximately $32 million in local tax revenue and $74 million in payments to landowners.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward