Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - March 15, 2022
Kingspan Updates 2021 GHG Emissions
The Kingspan Group announced it achieved a 4.3% reduction in scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions and a 29% reduction in carbon intensity year on year. The advanced insulation and building solutions company released its second annual report for its 10-year sustainability program, Planet Passionate.
For the second consecutive year, the group has made reductions towards its 2030 net zero carbon manufacturing goal. This is underpinned by a verified SBTi3 target to reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 90% by 2030, from a 2020 base year.
Kingspan can achieve this goal with the decarbonization of its energy sources and processes across its existing 198 manufacturing sites (up from 166 in 2020) while supporting newly acquired businesses to decarbonize as quickly as possible.
To accelerate the Group’s decarbonization strategy, the company introduced an internal carbon charge of €70 per tonne of CO2e, which will be implemented throughout the business in 2023.
The 2021 report illustrates the progress against the majority of the program’s 12 measurable targets in carbon, energy, water, and circularity. The achievements include:
- Energy: An increase in the direct use of renewable energy from 19.5% to 26.1%, and an increase in the percentage of wholly-owned facilities with solar PV from 21.7% to 28.4%. The group also achieved a 15% reduction in energy intensity year-on-year.
- Carbon: An increase in the percentage of zero-emissions company-funded cars from 11% to 29%.
- Circularity: A reduction in company waste to landfill of 13%, as well as 843 million PET bottles recycled into our processes.
“The climate crisis, the pandemic, and now recent global events all serve to concentrate the mind on the need to build a more resilient and equitable world while ensuring energy security,” said Gene Murtagh, CEO of Kingspan Group in a statement. “Planet Passionate is our contribution to a future that uses resources efficiently, protects the natural world, and delivers high-performance, energy-efficient products and solutions to our customers and global communities.
- Kingspan Reports Progress on ‘Planet Passionate’ Targets
- Kingspan joins SBTi, targets new reductions
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Going net zero - Kingspan's global strategy
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News