Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - April 18, 2022
Digimarc Sets ESG Baseline
Digimarc Corporation released its inaugural ESG Impact Report, setting the baseline for the company’s ESG disclosures.
Running the company’s facilities emits a limited quantity of GHG, but Digimarc’s technology relies on energy- and resource-intensive data centers and computing power, which are owned and operated by service providers. The company’s Scope 3 GHG emissions are important challenges.
Digimarc worked with its service providers to measure its usage and associated GHG emissions for 2021, but encountered challenges in measuring this data due to legacy contracts with these service providers. The company was only able to disclose partial Scope 3 cloud computing emissions data for 2021, covering cloud computing usage for a business unit and internal tools, which emitted an estimated 0.2 tons CO2e.
The company said its Scope 1 emissions totaled 13.5 tons CO2e in 2021, its Scope 2 emissions totaled zero and its Scope 3 totaled 122.1 tons CO2e.
The company purchased 1,528 MWh of electricity for its Beaverton, Oregon headquarters, a 5% decrease compared to 2020 and a 10% decrease compared to 2019. Digimarc said 100% of the renewable electricity procured at that building was conducted via the purchase of RECs.
“ESG is not just relevant for Digimarc, it’s at the core of our business. By illuminating the journey of our customers’ products – from production to consumption and end of life – we can provide the trusted intelligence necessary to solve complex societal challenges,” said Mignon Senuta, VP of ESG Engagement and Corporate Communications for Digimarc in a statement.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward