Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - May 19, 2022
Sony Accelerates Sustainability Goals
Sony Group Corporation is accelerating its goal of achieving carbon neutrality throughout the entire value chain, including Scopes 1 to 3 by 10 years from 2050 to 2040, and its target for achieving 100% renewable energy in its own operations also by 10 years from 2040 to 2030.
In 2010, the company announced the "Road to Zero," a long-term global environmental plan that aims to achieve a zero environmental footprint throughout the life cycle of Sony’s products and business activities by the year 2050. Sony will accelerate its target year for carbon neutrality or GHG emissions of virtually zero from 2050 to 2040. Specifically, Sony intends to make direct and indirect emissions (scopes 1 and 2) of its own operations carbon neutral by 2030 and by 2040, in addition to scopes 1 and 2, Sony will also target other emissions originating from stages such as products, supply chains, and logistics (scope 3), aiming for net zero emissions achieved in all scopes.
The company is also accelerating the goal of achieving 100% renewable electricity used at its own sites by ten years from 2040 to 2030.
The renewable electricity rate to be achieved as of 2025 is being raised from the existing target of 15% to the new target of 35%. At the same time, Sony's renewable energy procurement policy has been revised to include additional items for environmental consideration when installing and operating power generation equipment.
The Sony Group will implement the following measures in order to achieve 100% renewable electricity by 2030 and carbon neutrality from scopes 1 to 3 by 2040.
- Continuous reduction of environmental impact at own sites: Accelerate energy saving, installation of solar power generation equipment, and introduction of renewable energy throughout the Sony Group.
- Further promotion of energy efficient products: Accelerate initiatives to reduce annual power consumption per Sony product.
- Strengthening efforts with partners: Encourage business partners of the Sony Group, such as those engaged in parts, materials and finished product manufacturing, to manage their GHG emissions, save energy, and convert to renewable energy to reduce GHG emissions throughout the entire supply chain.
- Contribution to carbon removal/fixation: Contribute to carbon fixation through both technological removal and absorption by ecosystem such as technological removal through measures such as exploration of investments in startups engaged in carbon removal through the Sony Innovation Fund: Environment and absorption by ecosystems, for example exploring credit generation from carbon absorption associated with augmented ecosystem businesses.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward