Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Efficiency, Sourcing Renewables - August 6, 2022
Weekend Reads: What is the Purpose of ESG Investing?; Ditch Your Necktie to Save Energy
It's the weekend! Kick back and catch up with these must-read articles from around the web.
ESG Investing Isn't Designed to Save the Planet (Harvard Business Review) It's long past time we faced a hard truth: despite a historic surge in popularity, ESG (environmental, social, and governance) investing will not tackle our generation’s urgent environmental and social challenges. Consider the battle against climate change: Estimates are that humanity will need to invest an average of $3.5 trillion annually over the next 30 years. Unfortunately, these trillions are not the same trillions that are presently invested in assets managed according to many forms of ESG investing — those are dedicated to assuring returns for shareholders, not delivering positive planetary impact.
Now Is Your Chance to Fix the Carbon Offset Market (Bloomberg) Imagine a financial tool that solves three problems at once — it lowers greenhouse gases, rejuvenates forests and improves the lives of the poor. That’s the promise of carbon offsets, and it’s rarely been met. Carbon offsets offer companies a cheap and easy way to buff their green credentials. In 2021, more than $1 billion worth of offsets were sold, and supporters want to grow the market 50-fold by the end of the decade. But that can only happen if offsets are seen as credible tender.
Webinar: How 24/7 Carbon Data Is Shaping The Travel & Tourism Industry (nZero) Wednesday, August 10, 2022, 2:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. Accurate carbon management and accounting has become critical. With greenwashing rampant and stakeholders demanding deeper carbon transparency and clear climate goals, organizations and governments are realizing 24/7 data is key to accurately track, report and communicate their carbon impacts. This is especially the case in the travel and tourism industry which, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council, accounts for ~11% of the globe’s greenhouse gases. In this webinar, you will hear from nZero’s CEO Adam Kramer, Mayor of The Town Of Truckee Courtney Henderson, and Wynn Resorts’ Chief Sustainability Officer Erik Hansen on how 24/7 data is shaping their industry. REGISTER HERE
Morocco Wants To Be A 'Destination' for Renewable Energy (Forbes) The Sahara has a lot of land and a lot of sun, making it an appealing place to site massive solar generating stations, and the Kingdom of Morocco is doing just that. Add substantial wind resources inland and on the coast and Morocco looks set to fulfill its declared intention of not only satisfying its own demands, but also becoming a regional exporter to North Africa and Europe.
- Weekend Reads: The Movement Against Greenwashing Carbon Credits; The Bahamas Rebuild with Solar
- Weekend Reads: How Biden Plans to Tackle Climate Without Congress; Japan's Cow Manure Power Plant
- Weekend Reads: CA Shipping Seeks Decarbonization Tech; Efficiency's Role in the Energy Crisis
- Weekend Reads: The Developing Countries Leading on RE; Nuclear's Growing Public Support in the US
- Weekend Reads: Where the Supreme Court Ruling Leaves the EPA; The Perks of Floating Solar
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Weekend Reads: Using Skyscrapers For Energy Storage; US Looks to Gulf of Mexico As Next Wind Hub
- Weekend Reads: Biden Considers the Future of Offshore Drilling; Could We Make Solar Even Greener?