Commercial, Finance, Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - April 25, 2017
Oregon wind project is Apple's largest to-date
Continuing to accelerate its involvement in the clean energy transition, Apple Inc. has entered into two new power purchase agreements in Oregon, one of which is the technology giant's largest to-date.
The company said in its recently released sustainability report that it signed a 200-MW PPA for a new Oregon wind farm, the Montague Wind Power Project. The project, set to come online by the end of 2018, marks the first Apple-created wind project and its largest to-date; the wind farm is expected to generate more than 560 million kWh per year.
Also in Oregon, Apple has executed a PPA for a 56-MW solar array that is expected to generation 140 million kWh yearly. The electricity from both projects will be used to support Apple's Prineville, Ore., data center; the company is utilizing the state's direct access program offered through its utility, Pacific Power, to schedule the renewable energy from the projects directly to the data center.
Pacific Power is a subsidiary of PacifiCorp, a Berkshire Hathaway Energy company.
Additionally, Apple said the data center is being supported by two micro-hydro projects that generate 12 million kilowatt-hours of renewable energy a year. Layered on top of all of that, Apple said it has also executed a long-term purchase agreement for the environmental attributes from a 50-MW portfolio of six solar arrays in the state with Cypress Creek Renewables; that agreement will ensure that Apple remains "100% renewable all the time," the company said.
- Bank of America deployed $14.5B in renewable energy, efficiency projects in 2015
- Deutsche Bank to stop new coal project financing
- Apple reaches deal for 200 MW of new Nevada solar
- Already leader in landfill gas, Waste Management will increase solar, wind project hosting in 2017
- Data center metering and resource guide
Get Part 2 from Richard Heath plus free thought leadership from experts at Insight Energy
- The Business of Standalone Grid-Scale Energy Storage in Northern States
- Green Lease Leaders: How Industrial Building Owners Use the Lease to Optimize Sustainable Business Practices
- Google Environmental Report 2019
- Webinar replay: Why finance should lead sustainability efforts
- Future Proof Your Business with integrated Storage, Solar, and Smart EV Charging