Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - October 29, 2018
Cinemark signs nine-year wind VPPA
Cinemark USA, Inc. announced on October 29 it has signed a nine-year VPPA with AEP Energy Partners for up to 40 megawatts of renewable energy from AEP’s Trent Mesa wind energy center in Nolan County, Texas. Cinemark will receive RECS for the wind power capacity representing approximately 38% of its current total annual domestic energy consumption.
"We remain committed to reducing our carbon footprint through both onsite and offsite renewable energy projects," said Mark Zoradi, Cinemark’s CEO, in a statement. "This new virtual power purchase agreement between Cinemark and AEP is the next step in our ongoing efforts."
In addition to this new VPPA, the statement noted, Cinemark continues to deploy a number of energy efficiency projects including HVAC retrofits, rooftop solar panel installations, as well as interior and exterior LED retrofits.
Once fully implemented, the 40 megawatts of power from Trent Mesa will produce renewable energy equivalent o the approximate power consumption of 120 Cinemark theaters. The company currently operates 539 theaters with 5,998 screens in 41 U.S. states, Brazil, Argentina, and 13 other Latin American countries.
3 emerging trends uncovered during ENGIE Insight’s Coast to Coast Sustainability Tour.
- RESF Fall Presentation: Kingspan - Our 2020 Vision
- RESF Fall presentation: Kohler's journey in RE sourcing
- White Paper: The Case for Outsourcing Energy Systems: Velocity, Vector and Virtualization
- RESF Fall Presentation: Starbucks' Portfolio Approach to RE Strategy & Execution
- Webinar replay: Trends in Community Solar w/an Update on Illinois