Energy Efficiency, Commercial, Solar - June 11, 2019
Walmart signs for community solar in MN
Walmart has reached an agreement to subscribe to 36 of US Solar's community solar gardens located throughout the state of Minnesota. The deal will provide energy to Walmart locations in 13 separate counties. The first gardens have completed construction; the remainder are expected to be online by the first half of 2020.
"Solar is a vital component of Walmart's expanding renewable energy portfolio," said Mark Vanderhelm, vice president of energy for Walmart Inc. "Walmart plans to tirelessly pursue renewable energy projects that are right for our customers, our business and the environment. This community solar gardens initiative with US Solar is moving us in the right direction toward our renewable energy goals."
According to Walmart’s statement, community solar in Minnesota allows businesses, public entities, and residents to subscribe to an offsite solar garden without having to site solar directly on their property, thereby enabling subscribers to reduce their retail electricity costs while also supporting clean, local energy. Subscribers receive energy savings in the form of a bill credit on their retail electric bill based on the amount of energy produced each month by their subscribed portion of the solar gardens.
The bill credits that Walmart will receive are based on Minnesota's Value of Solar methodology, which takes into consideration the value of the solar energy delivered to the utility by the community solar gardens, as well as other grid and environmental benefits.
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business
- White paper: Demand-Side Energy Management in the U.S. Manufacturing Industrial Sector
- DE Forum Presentation: How Cinemark makes DERs work, both as a property owner and a tenant
- DE Forum Presentation: Charting a course for DERs at Tyson
- Green Lease Leader: Green Leasing Spurs Efficiency Improvements in Cleveland Businesses and City Building