Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - June 12, 2019
Six Flags Great Adventure completes solar project
Six Flags Great Adventure announced the completion of a 23.5-megawatt solar project, allowing the theme park to be almost fully powered by solar energy and ranking as New Jersey's largest net metered solar project.
“This is a thrilling day for our company. This project represents a giant step toward becoming a net-zero carbon facility,” said Six Flags Great Adventure Park President John Winkler in a statement. “Clean energy is right for the environment and our future, and we look forward to decades of environmental stewardship with our partner, KDC Solar.”
According to the company, the solar project, located at the park in Jackson, New Jersey, includes:
- 11 MW of solar carports over three sprawling parking lots and 12.5 MW on 40 acres of ground-mounted solar panels
- Net metering system that allows Six Flags to generate its own clean energy and export power into the grid to serve nearby homes and businesses
- Dramatic reduction of the park’s reliance on harmful fossil fuels
- Preservation of more than 200 acres of forest, wetlands and wetlands transition areas
The theme park recycles more than 60 percent of its annual waste, including manure, paper, plastic, wood, and mixed garbage. In addition, it has been converting to recycled furniture products, such as tables and park benches comprised of recycled plastic. The theme park eliminated the use of paper towels in favor of energy-efficient hand dryers and is firmly committed to other energy-saving programs. “We are continually searching for new ways to operate more efficiently and enhance our role as good stewards of the environment,” Winkler said.
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
- Insights from the 2019 Innovation Summit
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business