Infographic: UPS powering operations of the future
Categories: Energy Efficiency, Energy Storage, Sourcing Renewables
Date Published: 3/21/2018
Primary Topic: Energy Storage
UPS announced the deployment of a new charging technology in London that overcomes the challenge of simultaneously recharging an entire fleet of electric vehicles (EVs) without the need for the expensive upgrade to the power supply grid. This advance is the result of the company’s participation in the "Smart Electric Urban Logistics (SEUL)" project with UK Power Networks and Cross River Partnership, with funding secured from the UK’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles.
In a statement, UPS said, "The breakthrough signals the beginning of the end of a reliance upon traditional combustion engine powered vehicles by allowing UPS to increase the number of EVs operating from its central London site from the current limit of 65 to all 170 trucks based there."
UPS explained that the system adopts an “intelligent” approach to charging by spreading this throughout the night so that the building can use the power it needs to run the business of logistics (lights, sortation machinery and IT) and ensure that all EVs are fully charged by the time they are needed in the morning, but at the same time never exceed the maximum power available from the grid.
Click on the link to view this infographic on how UPS is addressing the charging challenge:
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Collaborative Offsite PPA Structures for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Energy Storage Helps an Ontario Food Manufacturer Take Control of Electricity Costs
- RESF Fall presentation: Kohler's journey in RE sourcing
- White Paper: The Case for Outsourcing Energy Systems: Velocity, Vector and Virtualization
- Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Make Buildings More Healthy and Efficient
- Swarm Logic unlocks HVAC energy savings
- Renewable Energy Purchasing vs. Climate Goals
- The Invisible Enemy of Energy Management Programs (And 5 Steps to Beat it)
- A Battery Storage System Can Be The Perfect Complement to Your New Solar PPA
- Revisiting 4 corporate sustainability trends all business leaders should be watching in 2018
- Buying renewable energy should be easy — here’s one way to make it less complex