Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Galvanize Landlord-Tenant Engagement and Higher Performing Buildings
Type: Case Study
Categories: Commercial, Energy Efficiency
Date Published: 1/16/2019
Source: Institute for Market Transformation, Better Buildings Alliance
Primary Topic: Energy Efficiency
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Better Buildings Alliance’ Green Lease Leaders presents part three in their series of case studies showcasing exciting green lease trends. This report looks at Green Lease Leader designees that have successfully implemented effective tenant engagement strategies into their green leases and overall operations, including Commonwealth Partners, Forest City Realty Trust, JBG SMITH Properties, Kimco Realty Corporation, and Prologis.
Commercial buildings account for approximately 20% of energy use in the U.S., with leased spaces representing 50% of consumption. Green leases, also known as high-performance or energy-aligned leases, break down pervasive barriers in the commercial, industrial, and retail sector by equitably aligning the costs and benefits of energy and other sustainability investments of building owners and tenants so they can work together to save money, conserve resources, and ensure smarter, more efficient operation of buildings.
Download the report to discover best practices that every real estate or sustainability practitioner should consider when leasing property:
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019
- Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Galvanize Landlord-Tenant Engagement and Higher Performing Buildings
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- Webinar replay: Buyer aggregation - an emerging path for renewable energy purchasers
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Optimizing Solar, Storage, and a Fuel Cell for a Brooklyn Apartment Complex
- Engaging Franchisees in Energy Management & Benchmarking
- Hershey aims to cut the carbon footprint of its chocolate with new Science-Based Target commitment
- Corporate Clean Energy Buying Surged to New Record in 2018
- Why we’re putting 1.6 million solar panels in Tennessee and Alabama
- City of Boston's improved energy management process