Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Galvanize Landlord-Tenant Engagement and Higher Performing Buildings
Type: Case Study
Categories: Commercial, Energy Efficiency
Date Published: 1/16/2019
Source: Institute for Market Transformation, Better Buildings Alliance
Primary Topic: Energy Efficiency
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Better Buildings Alliance’ Green Lease Leaders presents part three in their series of case studies showcasing exciting green lease trends. This report looks at Green Lease Leader designees that have successfully implemented effective tenant engagement strategies into their green leases and overall operations, including Commonwealth Partners, Forest City Realty Trust, JBG SMITH Properties, Kimco Realty Corporation, and Prologis.
Commercial buildings account for approximately 20% of energy use in the U.S., with leased spaces representing 50% of consumption. Green leases, also known as high-performance or energy-aligned leases, break down pervasive barriers in the commercial, industrial, and retail sector by equitably aligning the costs and benefits of energy and other sustainability investments of building owners and tenants so they can work together to save money, conserve resources, and ensure smarter, more efficient operation of buildings.
Download the report to discover best practices that every real estate or sustainability practitioner should consider when leasing property:
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to Research
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Benchmarking and Transparency: Resources for State and Local Leaders
- Capturing the Full Value of Renewable Energy for Businesses in ERCOT
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Collaboration Enables Merck to Take a Huge, Sustainable Leap Forward
- A Comparison of Fuel Choice for Backup Generators
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Michigan State's long-term view on renewable energy
- Solar Tax Credits Are Stepping Down Next Year: What Does This Mean for Corporate Solar Projects?
- Top 3 corporate sustainability trends all business leaders should be watching in 2019
- REI's net zero distribution center
- Energy and facility managers deserve access to modern technology
- The secret behind Iron Mountain’s long-term strategy for setting a Science-Based Target? A phase-based approach.