Commercial, Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Storage, Industrial, Microgrids, Sourcing Renewables - January 17, 2020
2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
Smart Energy Decisions has announced the winners of the third annual Innovation Awards competition, who were selected by an independent panel of judges. The winners will be honored at a reception and special dinner sponsored by ENGIE North America on March 11, capping off the Smart Energy Decisions’ 2020 Innovation Summit in Houston, Texas.
The Smart Energy Decisions Innovation Awards recognize exemplary use and implementation of innovative technologies and progressive practices among large electric power users (customers), their suppliers and utilities that reflect new approaches to energy procurement and management.
These awards recognize outstanding work in support of the dramatic transformation taking place in today's electric power markets. As innovation is driven by effective collaboration between customers, suppliers, and utilities, the Innovation Awards will be presented in two categories: Customer Projects and Utility Partnerships.
The winners of Customer Project Awards are:
- Commercial Energy Data Management: Metropolis Investment Holdings, Inc., “345 California”
- Higher Education Energy Data Management: Stony Brook University, “Data Analytics Platform”
- Healthcare Energy Data Management: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) Breast and Imaging Center (BAIC), “Virtual Energy Monitoring (VEM) and Fault Detection + Diagnostics (FDD)”
- Industrial Energy Data Management: Pompeian, Inc., “Pompeian Sustainability”
- Government Energy Efficiency Technology, City of Santa Ana, CA, “Energy Retro-commissioning and Retrofit”
- Healthcare Energy Efficiency Technology, Atrium Health, “Enterprise Energy Management”
- Industrial Energy Efficiency Technology: Lockheed Martin Corporation, “Saving Energy with Networked Lighting Management”
- Government Energy Storage & Microgrids: U.S. Marine Corps, “Recruit Depot Parris Island Energy Resiliency”
- Higher Education Energy Storage & Microgrids, University of Massachusetts Amherst, “1.3 MW Battery Storage”
- Agricultural Energy Storage & Microgrids: Bowery Farming, “Energy as a Service (EaaS) Microgrid”
- Commercial Offsite Renewable Energy: Bloomberg LP, Cox Enterprises, Gap Inc., Salesforce, and Workday for “Corporate Renewable Energy Aggregation Group”
- Commercial Offsite Renewable Energy: Adobe and Facebook, “Enel Green Power's Rattlesnake Creek Wind Farm”
- Institutional Onsite Renewable Energy: Minneapolis Public Schools, “Rooftop & Canopy Solar + EV Charging at Edison High School”
The winners of Utility Partnership Awards are:
- Enabling Onsite Renewables: IBM, NextEra Energy, and Xcel Energy, “IBM Boulder goes solar”
- International Onsite Renewables: Ecuador Ministry of Energy, “Isabela Island Hybrid Power Plant, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador”
- Commercial Energy Microgrids & Storage: Consolidated Edison & Related Companies, “Energy Storage Project at Related’s Gateway Center Mall
Special recognition for “Ones to Watch” are:
- Government Offsite Renewable Energy: City of Cincinnati, “100% Renewable Energy by 2035”
- Industrial Offsite Renewable Energy: McCormick & Company, “McCormick Solar Energy Purchase”
- Commercial Offsite Renewable Energy: Microsoft Inc., “A Zero-Carbon World”
“The quality of nominations received for these Innovation Awards was truly impressive,” said John Failla, founder and editorial director of Smart Energy Decisions. “These awards are a reflection of the growth, innovation, and creativity driving today’s energy industry.”
The program's judges included Wolfgang Bauer, university distinguished professor and associate vice president, Michigan State University; Peter Kelly-Detwiler, principal, NorthBridge Energy Partners; Fred Mazurski, principal, FM Consulting; Karl R. Rábago, principal of Rábago Energy LLC; David Reid, global energy and productivity leader, Celanese Corp., and Rowena Striff, energy manager, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics.
"The commitment made by our judges to review the wide range of nominations received this year was key to the success of this program,” said Failla. “Their extensive industry experience, expertise, and enthusiasm is greatly appreciated,”
"We congratulate each of the winners, whose innovative projects and programs are being recognized with Innovation Awards” Failla added.
Click here for more information on the 2020 Innovation Summit, March 9-11 at The Houstonian in Houston, TX.
Industry News: SED's Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum goes VIRTUAL July 27-29, 2020
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World