Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - May 12, 2021
Caterpillar Announces 2030 Sustainability Goals, Reports ESG Progress
Caterpillar, Inc. announced on May 11 new sustainability goals centered around climate, environment, and safety. Among the goals to achieve by 2030 in operations energy and emissions: a science-based Scope 1 and 2 goal to reduce absolute GHG emissions from its operations by 30% from 2018 to 2030.
In product emissions and energy efficiency: 100% of Caterpillar's new products through 2030 will be more sustainable than the previous generation through collaborating with customers, reduced waste, improved design for rebuild/remanufacturing, lower emissions, or improved efficiency.
"Caterpillar is well-positioned to continue improving the quality of the environment and communities by helping our customers fulfill society's basic needs such as shelter, clean water, education and reliable energy, in a sustainable way," Caterpillar Chairman and CEO Jim Umpleby, said in a statement. "We are demonstrating our commitment to a reduced-carbon future in many ways, including through our significant progress in reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from our operations and our continued investment in new products, technologies and services that help customers achieve their climate-related objectives as they build a better, more sustainable world."
Caterpillar's 2020 Sustainability Report focuses on ESG topics within its own operations and continued stewardship to support its customers' sustainability goals. The company continues to design innovative products and services to help its customers meet their ESG objectives.
Among the company’s progress highlighted in the report:
- A 51% reduction in absolute greenhouse gas emissions from the 2006 baseline.
- Assuring that 33% of annual aggregate electrical energy needs are sourced with alternative and renewable sources.
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings