Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - January 14, 2019
IBM sets next generation goals
IBM has announced a second-generation renewable electricity procurement goal and a fourth-generation GHG emissions reduction goal to cover the energy consumption and corresponding CO2 emissions associated with the company’s global businesses.
In a post from the company, IBM stated its goal to procure 55% of the electricity IBM consumes globally from renewable supplies by 2025. The amount includes both directly contracted and grid-supplied renewable electricity. The company will also reduce CO2 emissions associated with IBM’s energy consumption by 40% by 2025 against the base year 2005, adjusted for acquisitions and divestitures.
“IBM has a long history of taking action to reduce its environmental impacts and has delivered significant energy conservation results and GHG emissions reductions for almost three decades,” said Wayne Balta, vice president, Corporate Environmental Affairs and Product Safety. “IBM’s next-generation goals are comprehensive and aggressive, covering our global operations and requiring us to sustain a 2 percent or more per year reduction in CO2 emissions from 2005 to 2025.” Balta also noted that IBM will not use unbundled RECs to reach these goals.
The company expects to achieve their emissions goal through a combination of energy conservation and efficiency activities and increased procurement of renewable electricity. The blog post noted that IBM’s energy conservation efforts since 1990 have saved more than 7.4 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity consumption, avoided 4.4 million metric tons of CO2 emissions, and saved the company more than $616 million.
- IBM Updates 2030 Goals
- IBM - Continuing to make a positive environmental impact
- IBM Releases Progress Toward 2030 Net-Zero Goal
- IBM Plans Energy Saving Improvements at Four Sites
- IBM pledges net zero emissions by 2030
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Weekend Reads: Using Skyscrapers For Energy Storage; US Looks to Gulf of Mexico As Next Wind Hub
- Weekend Reads: Biden Considers the Future of Offshore Drilling; Could We Make Solar Even Greener?