Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - March 6, 2019
Microsoft adds 74 MW of solar in NC
Microsoft Corp. will become the sole offtaker of the Wilkinson Solar Energy Center, a 74-megawatt solar project in North Carolina. The company signed a 15-year PPA with Invenergy, which will construct, own, and operate the Center. This represents Microsoft's fourth PPA in the PJM Interconnection and will bring Microsoft's total renewable energy portfolio to more than 1.3 gigawatts.
"When we invest in renewable energy, we are investing in the future — enabling sustainable growth of our business, of the clean energy sector and the local communities that benefit economically from Microsoft's commitment to sustainability," said Brian Janous, Microsoft's general manager of Energy and Sustainability, in a statement. "Our work with companies like Invenergy is an integral step toward our goal of enabling a clean energy future for everyone. We are pleased our partnership will bring new solar resources to the PJM region."
The Wilkinson Solar Energy Center is expected to generate $20 million in local economic investment through tax payments, landowner lease payments, and wages and benefits for employees. It is scheduled to begin commercial operation in 2019 and is estimated to create more than 500 jobs during construction. North Carolina ranks second in installed solar capacity among U.S. states, and with more than 256,620 modules, the Wilkinson Solar Energy Center will be among the largest solar installations in the state.
- Novartis signs 12-year wind VPPA
- Microsoft’s new data center goes under the sea
- MGM Resorts announces 100 MW solar array
- Microsoft signs PPA for Big Level wind
- Buying renewable energy should be easy — here’s one way to make it less complex
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Today's Leaders. Tomorrow's Heroes.
The George Washington University
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset