Commercial, Energy Efficiency - June 21, 2019
AgroFresh improves sustainability of apple production supply chain
AgroFresh's SmartFresh food-waste reduction initiative has improved the sustainability of the apple supply chain by taking more than 8 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) out of the system, the company announced June 20.
The ArgoFresh technology ensures higher-quality produce is produced in order to limit the food that goes to waste. From 2002-2018, the SmartFresh project has diverted more than 250,000 tons of apple waste, which equates to more than 800 million gallons of water not wasted, according to a news release.
These projects are a result of the company's efforts to formalize and strengthen its commitment to sustainability. AgroFresh is a developer of science-based solutions to environmental concerns surrounding the apple production industry.
"Since our founding, AgroFresh has provided expertise, solutions and services that help our customers prevent food waste while reducing their carbon footprints and preserving the earth's resources," Jordi Ferre, AgroFresh CEO, said in a statement. "Now, we're taking a deep dive to quantify our historical impact and to seek ways to improve it further. We want our customers to be aware of the long-term benefits of their partnerships with us, which extend beyond everyday business to optimize our planet's resources."
Going forward, AgroFresh will begin to analyze the impact its sustainability efforts have on the global markets.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Get Part 2 from Richard Heath plus free thought leadership from experts at Insight Energy
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- Planet Fitness announces 1st solar powered gym
- Weekend reads: CDP's global reach; a 40,000% power price spike
- Microsoft announces 230 MW renewables purchase
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- Weekend reads: Solar microgrids in the Bahamas; US gas station ditches oil for EV charging
- The Business of Standalone Grid-Scale Energy Storage in Northern States
- Green Lease Leaders: How Industrial Building Owners Use the Lease to Optimize Sustainable Business Practices
- Google Environmental Report 2019
- Webinar replay: Why finance should lead sustainability efforts
- Future Proof Your Business with integrated Storage, Solar, and Smart EV Charging