Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - July 24, 2019
The Home Depot reports 26% energy use reduction
The Home Depot® reported a 26% reduction of energy use by its U.S. stores in 2018 compared to 2010, ahead of its stated goal of 20%. Supply chain efficiencies implemented by the company reduced carbon dioxide intensity by 6% per dollar sold for the year.
These results were presented with the release of the company’s 2019 Responsibility Report, which reiterated science-based targets set during 2018 to achieve a 40% reduction in its carbon emissions by 2030 and a 50% reduction by 2035.
The report noted, “Our results come from making improvements kilowatt by kilowatt. In 2018, we installed energy-efficient heating, air-conditioning, and ventilation systems in 133 stores. Over the last seven years, we’ve updated HVAC units in 467 stores. LED lighting retrofits were installed in 295 stores.”
On-site renewable energy projects were operating at 256 stores by the end of 2018, The report said, “We began 2018 with 13 small-scale farms atop U.S. stores and we ended the year with 45. Rooftop solar takes advantage of the soccer field-size space at the top of our big boxes. Each solar farm reduces the store’s annual electricity grid demand by an estimated 35% or more.”
Where rooftop infrastructure won’t support solar panels, The Home Depot is looking at other alternative energy options, including fuel cells. By the end of 2018, fuel cells were operating outside 202 stores, 26 more locations than the year before. These fuel cells produce more than 90% of each store’s electricity needs. More installations are underway in 2019.
The Home Depot is the world's largest home improvement specialty retailer, with 2,291 retail stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, 10 Canadian provinces and Mexico.
- The Home Depot ESG Report: 5 Takeaways
- The Home Depot Targets 100% RE by 2030
- The Home Depot Signs 100 MW Solar PPA
- AT&T, Honda lead corporate offtakers of largest US solar facility
- The Home Depot inks PPA with solar + storage in Texas
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Nominations Open for WISE (Women in Smart Energy) Awards
- Ahold Delhaize Commits to Net-zero Target by 2040
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Smart Energy Decisions 2022 Event Lineup Announced
- Amazon Invests in 18 European and US Renewable Energy Projects