Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - October 18, 2019
Wells Fargo signs 10-year deal for Texas solar
Wells Fargo has signed a 10-year structured renewable energy agreement to receive approximately 62,000 MWh from a new solar facility in Texas.
The agreement, made with NRG Energy on Oct. 17, will provide electricity to approximately 400 Wells Fargo properties. Developers of the Texas solar project expect to break ground in 2020 and begin operation in 2021.
The plan through NRG Energy will provide 100% of the bank’s total annual requirements in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas region and 3% of the company’s national load.
“Wells Fargo is focused on continuing to demonstrate leadership in the transition to a low carbon economy,” Richard Henderson, head of Wells Fargo’s Corporate Properties Group, said in a statement. “Transitioning from the purchase of renewable energy certificates to long-term contracts that fund new sources of renewable energy is a critical piece of Wells Fargo’s 2020 renewable energy goal. Through structured retail transactions, like the one we announced today with NRG, we can continue to minimize our impact on the environment while supporting the communities where we work and live.”
This move follows a list of other initiatives that Wells Fargo has been implementing in pursuit of its 2020 energy goals. The bank is in the process of expanding its on-site renewables portfolio by installing solar technologies on more than 100 corporate, branch, and data facilities across the U.S. in addition to the solar arrays it currently maintains on 16 different properties and ATMs.
Since 2017, Wells Fargo has been meeting 100% of its global electricity requirements with renewable energy, primarily through REC purchases.
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business
- The Latest Evolution of Distributed Energy Resources - Opportunities for Businesses Within PJM
- A look at this summer's Texas electricity market
- Capturing the Full Value of Renewable Energy for Businesses in ERCOT
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey