Commercial, Solar, Wind - October 24, 2019
Amazon announces three new wind and solar projects
Amazon announced Thursday three new renewable energy projects, to be located in the U.S. and the U.K., expected to produce a combined 265 MW of energy annually.
The company has previously committed The Climate Pledge and to be net-zero carbon by 2040 and supply 100% renewable energy to the Amazon Web Services data centers around the world. These new projects in Scotland, North Carolina and Virginia get them closer to that goal.
“In addition to the environmental benefits inherently associated with running applications in the cloud, Amazon is committed to minimizing our carbon emissions and reaching 80% renewable energy use across the company by 2024,” Kara Hurst, Director of Sustainability at Amazon, said in a statement. “We’ve announced eight projects this year and have more projects on the horizon – and we’re committed to investing in renewable energy as a critical step toward addressing our carbon footprint globally. With nearly 70 renewable energy projects around the globe – including 54 solar rooftops – we are making significant progress towards reaching Amazon’s company-wide commitment to reach 100% renewable energy by 2030.”
The project underway in Scotland will be a 50 MW wind farm located on the Kintyre Peninsula and is the largest corporate wind PPA in the U.K.
In the U.S., Amazon will be building a solar project in Warren County, N.C., and one in Prince George County, Va. The two solar projects combined will produce 215 MW and are expected to generate 500,977 MWh of energy annually.
The projects are expected to come online in 2021.
To date, Amazon has launched 18 utility-scale wind and solar renewable energy projects that will generate over 1,600 MW annually. They have also installed more than 50 solar rooftops on fulfillment centers and sort centers around the globe that generate 98 MW of renewable capacity and deliver 130,000 MWh of clean energy annually.
- Amazon Signs Two PPAs
- Amazon Adds 37 Renewable Energy Projects
- Amazon Invests in 18 European and US Renewable Energy Projects
- Amazon Celebrates 86 New Signatories to The Climate Pledge
- Amazon Inks First PPA in Japan for 22 MW of Solar
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness