Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - December 13, 2019
Facebook launches Ga. solar farm to power data center
The 102.5 MW solar project that will begin to provide power to Facebook’s Newton County, Ga., data center went live Dec. 12, marking the social media company’s first solar project in the state.
Facebook first announced that Walton Electric Membership Corporation would provide 100% of the data center’s energy needs in March 2018.
Subsequently, Walton EMC signed a contract for the 350,000-panel solar facility in December 2018 with Silicon Ranch, the U.S. solar platform for Shell. In November, Walton EMC announced a second agreement with Silicon Ranch for an additional 107 MW renewable energy project to contribute power to the Newton Data Center, which is scheduled to come online in 2021.
"This project is representative of the cooperative approach to economic development across our state that has made Georgia a leader in innovative fields like solar energy," Governor Brian P. Kemp, said in a statement. "The world-class solar cells manufactured by Hanwha Q CELLS in northeast Georgia and installed at Silicon Ranch's solar field in Early County are paving the way for leading companies with a focus on sustainability – like Facebook – to find a home in Georgia. That cooperation, facilitated by our outstanding local economic development partners like Walton EMC, is a large part of what has earned Georgia the title of No. 1 State for Business for seven consecutive years, and I am excited for the future of the solar energy industry in our state."
- 200 MW solar allocated to Facebook data center
- Facebook signs on additional 125 MW for Ga. data center
- Facebook’s newest data center will be 100% RE
- Facebook’s first direct investment in RE; Shell to share RECs
- Facebook signs PPA to power TX ops
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Corporate PPAs to account for 20% of new RE generation in the U.S. by 2030
- The Home Depot inks PPA with solar + storage in Texas
- Keynotes and Presenting Sponsor Announced for Virtual RE Forum/Winter Edition
- GM inks PPA with 180 MW Arkansas solar project
- Navigating the Energy Transition
- Finding Balance: The Yin and Yang of Sustainable Energy Management
- Driving Resiliency Through Your Organization's Energy Infrastructure
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 2: Long-Term Decarbonization Strategies
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Summer Edition