Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - January 28, 2020
NY begins $1.4M street light retrofit project
New York kicked off Jan. 14 the governor’s Smart Street Lighting NY program, which will include the replacement of 2,400 streetlights in Kingston, N.Y., with LED fixtures and is expected to save the city more than $200,000 annually.
The New York Power Authority and the City of Kingston announced that installation is beginning this month and is expected to be completed during the summer. The upgrade is priced at $1.4 million and should reduce Kingston's greenhouse gas emissions by 570 tons per year.
The NYPA is also providing the upfront financing for the project and will receive payments as the cost-savings are realized.
“Replacing streetlights with energy-efficient LEDs reduces energy and maintenance costs, protects the environment, and improves safety—it’s truly a win-win for Kingston and municipalities across the state,” Gil C. Quiniones, NYPA president and CEO, said in a statement. “Under the Governor’s Smart Street Lighting NY program, NYPA is in the process of replacing tens of thousands of streetlights across the state and fully expects to exceed the Governor’s goal of replacing 500,000 lights by 2025.”
Government customers of the NYPA under this program will also receive a variety of lighting options to suit their needs, including specifications on the lights to incorporate SMART technology, which can be used for dozens of other functions, such as cameras and other safety features, weather sensors, Wi-Fi and energy meters.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness