GHG Emissions, Commercial, Sourcing Renewables - January 31, 2020
Delta enters offtake agreement for sustainable aviation fuel
Delta Air Lines announced Jan. 30 that it has entered into one of the largest airline offtake agreements of its kind to purchase sustainable aviation fuel, if produced, from Northwest Advanced Bio-Fuels.
In October, the airline announced its $2 million investment for an ongoing feasibility study with NWABF to determine the potential for a facility in Washington state that could supply sustainable aviation fuel for Delta operations in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles by mid-2020. The agreement announced this week will allow Delta access to sustainable aviation fuel that may be produced from such a facility.
The offtake agreement expects the advanced planning study to conclude later this year and that fuel will begin production by the end of 2024.
“This focused study and long-term agreement will support Delta’s goals to lower our carbon footprint aggressively,” Alison Lathrop, Delta’s Managing Director of Global Environment, Sustainability and Compliance said in a statement. “Investing in developing multiple sources of sustainable aviation fuel is one of the many ways we are looking to address climate change. Working alongside Northwest Advanced Bio-Fuels to produce and utilize sustainable aviation fuel could serve as an industry-best-practice-model for future endeavors.”
The airline estimates that sustainable aviation fuel would reduce lifecycle emissions by up to 80% compared to conventional jet fuel.
This agreement follows a similar offtake agreement with Gevo for biofuel production in Minnesota, which should be available to Delta between 2022 and 2023.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness