Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - March 12, 2020
Amazon announces 300 MW across four new RE projects
Amazon announced March 12 four new renewable energy projects that are expected to total 300 MW across Australia, Spain, Sweden and Virginia, which will provide clean power to their AWS data centers.
The 65 MW solar project planned to be located in Halifax County, Va., will be the retailer’s 11th renewable energy project in the Commonwealth, where they are also constructing a solar project that will power their new HQ2 headquarters.
“We’re on a mission to meet the Paris Agreement 10 years early as part of The Climate Pledge commitment to be net zero carbon across our operations by 2040” Kara Hurst, Vice President of Sustainability at Amazon, said in a statement. “These new renewable energy projects are part of our roadmap to 80% renewable energy by 2024 and 100% renewable energy by 2030. In addition to the environmental benefits inherently associated with running applications in the cloud, investing in renewable energy is a critical step toward addressing our carbon footprint globally.”
The other three projects in this announcement include a 60 MW solar project in New South Wales, Australia; a 122 MW onshore wind project in Västernorrland, Sweden; and a 50 MW solar project in Zaragoza, Spain. These three projects are expected to come online in 2021, 2022 and 2021, respectively.
Together, these four projects are expected to generate over 840,000 MWh of renewable energy annually.
Amazon has previously committed to reaching 80% renewable energy by 2024 and 100% by 2030 while being net-zero carbon by 2024.
- Amazon Launches First Brownfield Solar Project
- Apple, Nike Launch Clean Energy Procurement Academy
- Amazon Fresh Location Receives Zero Carbon Certification
- Amazon Invests in Direct Air Capture Tech
- Amazon to Use Green BioFuel for Shipments
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- Lumentum Decreases Emissions by 25%, Doubles RE Use
- BACARDÍ Rum Aims to Lower Emissions by 50% in Puerto Rico
- CalPERS Establishes $100 Billion Net Zero Pledge
- Weekend Reads: 10 Myths About the Energy Transition; Tackling Health Care's Carbon Footprint
- Projects Advance for Verizon's Wind, Solar REPAs