Commercial, Solar - June 19, 2020
Dow signs PPA for 75% of 200 MW Texas solar farm
Dow will soon be receiving solar energy from a 200 MW project of which they have contracted 75% and announced their involvement with the project on June 18.
First Solar had previously disclosed the execution of the 15-year PPA for its Horizon Solar project in Frio County, Texas, but just this week identified that Dow would be the off-taker. The clean energy generated by the solar farm will support Dow’s Gulf Coast operations in Texas and the portion covered by the PPA is expected to offset 147,000 metric tons of CO2 annually.
“Dow and First Solar share a common vision for a more sustainable planet and a long history of partnership,” Edward Stones, Dow’s global business director for Energy and Climate Change, said in a statement. “Multiple raw materials, components, and derivative products produced by Dow contribute to the reliability and sustainability of First Solar’s module technology, including ENGAGE PV polyolefin elastomers. Now we are putting that technology to work in helping to power our operations in Texas and to reach Dow’s 2025 Sustainability Goal of obtaining 750 megawatts of our power demand from renewable sources.”
The solar farm features First Solar’s high-performance Series 6 PV modules that use ENGAGE PV Polyolefin Elastomers supplied by Dow. This construction offers a carbon footprint six times lower than conventional crystalline silicon PV panels on a life cycle basis.
- Dow Inks Eight New RE Deals Across Europe and North America
- Dow Benelux Outlines Path to Carbon Neutrality
- Dow cut 582K carbon emissions in 2019
- Dow commits to carbon neutrality by 2050
- Solar project to power Toyota and Dow approved by PSC
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers