Commercial, Wind - June 26, 2020
Cisco enters into first long-term wind PPA
Cisco announced June 24 that they signed their first PPA with a wind farm and was one of several companies to contract a long-term PPA with the 419 MW Mesquite Star wind farm in Texas.
The technology hardware company expects the agreement to reduce their Scope 2 emissions in Texas by over 18,000 metric tons per year. Cisco contracted a 10 MW portion of the Clearway Energy Group project, which will provide approximately 40% of the electricity needed at their Richardson and Allen, Texas data centers.
“Renewable PPA agreements allow Cisco to support new renewable energy developments that produce electricity bundled with the associated Renewable Energy Credits (RECs),” Andy Smith, Cisco Global Sustainability Manager and member of Smart Energy Decisions’ advisory board, said in a statement. “This helps us meet our sustainability goals and reduces costs and volatility in our energy budget by locking in electricity prices over the term of the agreements. Furthermore, it creates local jobs and adds clean, renewable electricity to the local electric grid where we have operations.”
This is the company’s third overall long-term renewable energy contract, following an agreement in 2017 to power their San Jose, Calif., headquarters with solar power and an agreement to provide solar power to their campus in Bangalore, India. Cisco is committed to reducing their total Scope 1 and 2 emissions worldwide by 60% between 2007 and 2022 and generating 85% of their global electricity from renewable sources by 2022.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Weekend Reads: Google's Vision of a Carbon-Free HQ; San Diego's RE Future
- Ahold Delhaize Commits to Net-zero Target by 2040
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings