Commercial, Wind - June 26, 2020
Cisco enters into first long-term wind PPA
Cisco announced June 24 that they signed their first PPA with a wind farm and was one of several companies to contract a long-term PPA with the 419 MW Mesquite Star wind farm in Texas.
The technology hardware company expects the agreement to reduce their Scope 2 emissions in Texas by over 18,000 metric tons per year. Cisco contracted a 10 MW portion of the Clearway Energy Group project, which will provide approximately 40% of the electricity needed at their Richardson and Allen, Texas data centers.
“Renewable PPA agreements allow Cisco to support new renewable energy developments that produce electricity bundled with the associated Renewable Energy Credits (RECs),” Andy Smith, Cisco Global Sustainability Manager and member of Smart Energy Decisions’ advisory board, said in a statement. “This helps us meet our sustainability goals and reduces costs and volatility in our energy budget by locking in electricity prices over the term of the agreements. Furthermore, it creates local jobs and adds clean, renewable electricity to the local electric grid where we have operations.”
This is the company’s third overall long-term renewable energy contract, following an agreement in 2017 to power their San Jose, Calif., headquarters with solar power and an agreement to provide solar power to their campus in Bangalore, India. Cisco is committed to reducing their total Scope 1 and 2 emissions worldwide by 60% between 2007 and 2022 and generating 85% of their global electricity from renewable sources by 2022.
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Northwestern University to source 11.9 MW of community solar
- Webinar replay: Trends in Community Solar w/an Update on Illinois
- Cisco inks 20-year solar PPA for California HQ
- Cisco targets 450 energy efficiency, green projects
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset