Commercial, Energy Storage, GHG Emissions - July 13, 2020
Amazon reveals groundbreaking net-zero venue, naming it Climate Pledge Arena
Amazon announced last month that they secured naming rights to Seattle’s new NHL arena and will be naming the complex Climate Pledge Arena in honor of their global initiative supporting net-zero businesses by 2040.
The 18,100-seat multi-purpose venue, which will be the home of NHL Seattle and WNBA's Seattle Storm, will be the first arena in the world pursuing net-zero certification and will have all-electric operations powered with 100% renewable electricity. The arena is planned to source its clean energy from on-site solar panels and off-site renewable energy.
Additionally, all events at the arena, including sports, live music and community events, will be made fully net-zero carbon through investments in forestry projects under partnerships with organizations like The Nature Conservancy. The arena intends to measure and publicly disclose the carbon emissions and sustainability performance of the arena and all events.
“There is no question that the state of our planet is a critical issue for all of us,” Tim Leiweke, CEO of Oak View Group, an investor in the arena, said in a statement. “We have a responsibility to future generations to try to leave them with a better world. We love that Amazon is using its naming rights for a cause we care deeply about—this partnership is a visionary step for the facilities business and sport and music industries. Our goal is to be the most progressive, responsible, and sustainable venue in the world. It is not just about one arena—it’s a platform for us to step up and heal our planet.”
- Amazon Signs Two PPAs
- Amazon Adds 37 Renewable Energy Projects
- Amazon Invests in 18 European and US Renewable Energy Projects
- Amazon Celebrates 86 New Signatories to The Climate Pledge
- Amazon Inks First PPA in Japan for 22 MW of Solar
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness