GHG Emissions, Industrial - September 15, 2020
Dow cut 582K carbon emissions in 2019
Dow announced in their newest sustainability report released Sept. 11 that they reduced greenhouse gas intensity 3% between 2018 and 2019, which is a 13% reduction since their 2006 baseline, and saw a total emissions reduction of 582,000 metric tons in 2019.
In the report, the chemicals manufacturer detailed how they had previously committed to sourcing 750 MW of their demand from renewable sources by 2025. By the end of 2019, Dow had contracted 542 MW of renewable power and 244 MW of renewable steam. A few of these projects included, from 2019 alone, a new 20 MW wind project that will provide power to an Argentina production site, a 25 MW solar project to source power for a Kentucky site by 2022 and a 143 MW wind project for a Brazil production site by 2021.
Dow is currently the number one user of clean energy in the chemicals industry and ranks within the top 25 corporate purchases of clean energy in the world.
“At Dow, we believe business should be a catalyst for positive change through innovation and leadership in environmental sustainability,” Jim Fitterling, Dow's chairman and chief executive officer, said in a statement. “That’s why we are leading the way in ensuring the value of nature is considered in our business decisions. Dow’s Valuing Nature Goal is a critical piece of our ambition to become the most sustainable materials science company in the world.”
Additionally, most power and steam consumed for the operation of manufacturing processes come from combined heat and power (CHP) plants, which use 20-40% less fuel than conventional power generation.
In 2015, Dow launched their “Valuing Nature” goal to deliver $1 billion in business value, mostly through projects that avoid costs by being good for business and the environment. As of Sept. 11, the company reached the halfway mark of that goal and has seen savings of $500 million.
- Dow Inks Eight New RE Deals Across Europe and North America
- Dow Benelux Outlines Path to Carbon Neutrality
- Dow signs PPA for 75% of 200 MW Texas solar farm
- Dow commits to carbon neutrality by 2050
- Solar project to power Toyota and Dow approved by PSC
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Weekend Reads: Google's Vision of a Carbon-Free HQ; San Diego's RE Future
- Ahold Delhaize Commits to Net-zero Target by 2040
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings