GHG Emissions, Industrial - June 10, 2021
DS Smith Eyes Net Zero Through Biomass and RE Generation
DS Smith announced June 9 its ambition to reach net-zero emissions by 2050 and reduce emissions per ton of product 40% by 2030.
The packaging materials supplier plans to achieve these targets through engineering solutions like using local biomass and biogas and installing renewable energy generation to reduce emissions. These new targets are based on 2019 levels.
DS Smith first announced a goal to reduce emissions per ton of product by 30% by 2030 against a 2015 baseline back in 2017. By the end of 2020, it has achieved a 23% reduction through projects across more than 250 global sites, such as waste-to-energy technology, combined heat and power facilities, and boiler and LED lighting upgrades.
“It is widely recognized that paper and packaging is one of the hardest sectors to de-carbonize, but we are committed to playing our part by taking action on the path to Net Zero with a clear plan and roadmap,” Miles Roberts, group chief executive of DS Smith, said in a statement. “We make sustainable packaging that is fiber-based and fully recyclable and believe that through combined leadership in the circular economy and climate action, we are uniquely positioned to have a real impact in helping to reduce the rise in global temperatures. We’ve already made good progress in reducing our carbon as part of our long-term sustainability focus, but we know we need to do much more.”
The company plans to have its targets validated by the Science Based Targets initiative and also joined the UN’s Race to Zero.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- 7-Eleven Plans 500 New EV Chargers for North American Stores
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Georgetown University Partnership Boosts Energy Efficiency, Sustainability Goals
- Netflix unveils 2022 net zero ambition
- Starbucks Commissions Community Solar Projects for New York State
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook