GHG Emissions - June 10, 2021
NREL and Sempra Energy Explore Low-Carbon Fuel Options
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is partnering with Sempra Energy to continue the research and development of solutions to help the transition to a lower-carbon economy.
The pair completed a Memorandum of Understanding building off of a previous 10 years of collaboration to develop technology and applications related to low-carbon fuels and microgrids. Under the agreement, Sempra and NREL will coordinate on advancing AI to scale energy solutions around the U.S.; integrating low-carbon fuels like hydrogen, renewable natural gas, carbon capture, utilization and sequestration, and fuel cells; and finding ways to enhance control and integration of renewable energy generation into communities. The pair will also focus on enhancing electric grids with technology to increase the reliability and connectivity of infrastructure and promote net-zero solutions that can easily be used across communities.
“Building on our strong history of collaboration, we are excited to accelerate our work with Sempra to advance clean energy solutions,” Doug Arent, executive director for strategic public-private partnerships at NREL, said in a statement. “Researching key synergies across power, low carbon fuels and industrial sectors are expected to provide critical innovations toward realizing a low carbon, equitable, affordable, secure and reliable energy economy.”
Other projects done in collaboration between NREL and Sempra have included the nation’s first utility-owned community microgrid, connected to 26 MW of solar, two battery systems, two generators and an ultracapacitor, in California, as well as a groundbreaking power-to-gas pilot system.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers
- Better Plants 2021 Progress Update