GHG Emissions - June 18, 2021
Equinix Targets Climate Neutrality by 2030
Equinix announced June 16 its commitment to becoming climate neutral and reducing emissions across its global operations and supply chain by 2030.
The digital infrastructure provider will support this goal with renewable energy, green finance, public policy advocacy and innovation in design. In the interim, Equinix is targeting a 50% reduction in Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2030 by sourcing 100% renewable energy in that same time period.
Emissions not addressed by renewable energy will be targeted through energy efficiency initiatives, reducing refrigerant loss, phasing out high global warming potential refrigerants and investing in clean generation technologies.
For supplier emissions, Equinix is helping those responsible for 66% of its supplier emissions set their own science-based targets by 2025. The company is targeting a 50% reduction in the carbon associated with the delivery of power to its sites by 2030 as well.
From 2018 to 2020, Equinix achieved 90% renewable energy use for its data centers. The company has also issued $3.7 billion in green bonds and was a founding member of the EU Climate Neutral Data Centre Operator Pact and the Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance.
In 2020 the company invested $14 million to improve energy efficiency across its sites.
“Digital infrastructure is the backbone of today's economy and allows people to work and connect from anywhere and everywhere,” Raouf Abdel, EVP of global operations at Equinix, said in a statement. “We share the urgency of governments, the industry, and our customers that innovation and action are essential to ensure data centers are more sustainable and reduce carbon emissions quickly to address the impacts of global climate change. Our recent Global Tech Trends survey illustrated this with an increase in demand for greater transparency in IT infrastructure. We have seen this with the over 100% increase in requests for our Green Power Reports (GPRs), which empower customers to track progress against their own sustainability goals and reporting efforts.”
- Equinix Achieves Climate Protection Milestones
- Equinix launches €1.1B green bond for sustainability projects
- Tech giants join to demand increased RE, storage from Dominion
- Equinix plots energy efficiency for new data center
- Equinix datacenter features evaporative cooling tech
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- IKEA, Destination: Net Zero Lead Net Zero Forum Agenda
- Coca-Cola Launches Sustainability-Focused Venture Capital Fund
- Seven Automakers Create EV Charging Network
- Smart Energy Decisions Announces Winners of Inaugural DEI Impact Awards
- Spotlight Sessions Set for Net Zero Fall