Commercial, GHG Emissions - September 10, 2021
Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
Cisco announced Sept. 9 its new commitment to reach net-zero emissions across all its emissions from its product use, operations, and supply chain by 2040.
In the interim, the tech company is targeting net-zero Scope 1 and 2 emissions globally by 2025. Cisco plans to finalize interim targets for reducing its Scope 3 emissions from sold products and its supply chain later this year.
The company is currently on track to meet previously set goals to reduce Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 60% based on FY07 levels by FY22 and Scope 3 emissions by 30% from FY19 levels by FY30.
“The devastating effects of the climate disasters over the past few weeks could not be a clearer sign of the urgent need to address climate change now,” Fran Katsoudas, chief officer of people, policy & purpose at Cisco, said in a statement. “As a global technology leader, we must set the standard for sustainable business practices and support our customers, partners, and suppliers in their efforts to reduce their impact on the environment as well.”
To reduce all scopes of emissions, Cisco plans to focus on designing more efficient products, increasing the use of renewable energy, and investing in carbon removal solutions. Cisco already achieved 100% renewable energy use in several countries and is on track to reach its goal of sourcing 85% renewable electricity globally by FY22. The company will also transition to a more hybrid-style work environment and increase the prioritization of sustainability across business operations.
- EnergyOps: Reducing Cisco’s energy use and greenhouse gas emissions
- Cisco covers 100% of U.S. operations with RE in 2020
- Cisco enters into first long-term wind PPA
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Cisco inks 20-year solar PPA for California HQ
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation