Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - January 20, 2022
MidAmerican Energy Plans Iowa Renewable Energy Project
MidAmerican Energy announced plans for a $3.9 billion renewable energy project in Iowa, including wind and solar generation and the exploration of new technologies to advance the company’s transition to net zero GHG emissions.
In a filing with the Iowa Utilities Board, MidAmerican’s proposed project, called Wind PRIME, would add 2,042 MW of wind generation and 50 MW of solar generation. If approved, the company plans to complete construction in late 2024.
The company, a subsidiary of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Energy, also proposed conducting feasibility studies focused on other clean generation technologies, including carbon capture, energy storage and small modular nuclear reactors. Wind PRIME is MidAmerican’s 13th renewable energy generation development.
“As MidAmerican continues to progress toward delivering 100% renewable energy to our customers, we are also preparing to meet an important milestone of net-zero greenhouse gas emissions,” said Kelcey Brown, president and CEO of MidAmerican in a statement. “The Wind PRIME project will position us and our customers for a sustainable future while ensuring we continue to deliver affordable and reliable energy.”
Wind PRIME would result in benefits for the environment and MidAmerican’s customers, including the ability to offer 100% renewable energy to customers and reduce carbon across the state. The new project also proposes the study of emerging technologies, including energy storage, carbon capture, and small modular nuclear generation that will help expand MidAmerican’s ability to meet demand for renewable generation as well as lower-carbon and noncarbon generation.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness