Microgrids, Solar - April 19, 2022
Ramona Air Attack Base Adds Microgrid
The Ramona microgrid was completed by San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and will provide backup power to the Ramona Air Attack Base, home to CAL FIRE and U.S. Forest Service’s aerial firefighting assets dedicated to protecting rural communities.
This is one of four planned microgrids within the High Fire Threat District. The Ramona facility produces zero emissions since it is powered by 500/kW/2000kWh of battery storage. It was built in collaboration with the two agencies and is part of the SDG&E’s commitment to keep essential resources powered during Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS) and other emergency situations.
“As climate conditions continue to worsen, it’s imperative that we develop innovative solutions to support the continuity of essential resources, particularly our region’s emergency response resources, so they are ready for deployment at any moment,” said SDG&E CEO Caroline Winn in a statement. “The completion of the Ramona microgrid is a milestone in our ongoing partnership with CAL FIRE and the U.S. Forest Service as we work to make our electric system safer, cleaner and more reliable.”
CAL FIRE staffs the Ramona Air Attack Base year-round with one OV-10A Bronco tactical aircraft and two S-2T airtankers. These aircraft support wildland fire suppression locally and can be requested to assist with fires throughout California. Additionally, the base houses the U.S. Forest Service’s Bell 205 A++ helicopter and crew, which serves the Cleveland National Forest and can also be mobilized to help throughout the State of California. During fire incidents in San Diego County, the Ramona Air Attack Base serves as the hub for fixed wing aircraft that are assigned to the incident.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward