Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - April 20, 2022
The TJX Companies Sets 2040 Goals
The TJX Companies, Inc., an off-price apparel and home fashions retailer, announced plans to expand and accelerate environmental goals and is aiming to achieve net zero GHG emissions in its operations by 2040.
The company also plans to source 100% renewable energy in its operations by 2030, divert 85% of its operational waste from landfill by 2027 and shift 100% of the packaging for products developed in-house by its product design team to be reusable, recyclable, or contain sustainable materials by 2030.
“For 45 years, TJX’s mission of delivering great value to our customers every day has gone hand-in-hand with our commitment to act as a responsible corporate citizen, invest in our Associates and our communities, and operate our business ethically,” said Ernie Herrman, CEO of The TJX Companies, Inc. in a statement. “I am so pleased with all we have accomplished over the years, and we are by no means done. These new environmental sustainability goals are important to us in terms of our work to mitigate our impact on the environment.”
These commitments expand upon the company’s environmental priorities of reducing its emissions and energy usage, managing waste and sourcing responsibly. In June 2020, after exceeding its previous GHG emissions reduction goal, TJX set a science-based target in alignment with the United Nations’ Paris Agreement guidelines: a 55% absolute reduction in GHG emissions from direct operations by fiscal year 2030 against a fiscal year 2017 baseline. The company plans to continue to report against this target on its path toward its net zero emissions goal in its operations.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward