Industrial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - June 17, 2022
Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
Rivian announced plans for a large-scale wind turbine at its Normal, Illinois manufacturing campus that is intended to provide clean energy to enable new R1 vehicles to be powered by renewables.
The turbine is designed for a capacity of at least 2.8 MW and is capable of generating nearly 10 million kilowatt-hours of electricity a year. Over its 25-year lifetime, it could avoid around 177,000 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent emissions.
To construct the turbine, Rivian is partnering with Apex Clean Energy, a Virginia-based renewable energy development company. Rivian submitted a permit application to the Town of Normal, Illinois in June that will be considered for approval this summer.
Earlier this year at the plant’s outbound charging yard, Rivian installed a 783-kilowatt solar canopy that is scheduled to begin generating electricity later this summer.
“To us, our job isn’t done when our vehicles come off the line,” said Andrew Peterman, Rivian Director of Renewable Energy, in a statement. “While we’re working hard to help electrify transportation, we’re also pushing to accelerate the shift to carbon-free electricity for all. This wind turbine is an early step on that path, and it’s also a beacon of our vision for a clean energy future.”
Rivian signed the Climate Pledge to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2040, 10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement.
- Rivian Partners in Kentucky Solar Project
- Rivian’s EV Charging Site Powered By RE
- Rivian Signs PPA to Power Illinois Manufacturing
- Rivian Adds Solar Parking Canopy
- Mercedes-Benz Vans and Rivian Partner for Electric Van Production
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- AptarGroup Raises Use of RE
- IKEA, Destination: Net Zero Lead Net Zero Forum Agenda
- Coca-Cola Launches Sustainability-Focused Venture Capital Fund
- Seven Automakers Create EV Charging Network
- Smart Energy Decisions Announces Winners of Inaugural DEI Impact Awards
- Spotlight Sessions Set for Net Zero Fall