Commercial, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - October 19, 2017
Amazon's Bezos christens Texas wind farm
Amazon.com on Oct. 19 announced that its largest wind farm yet — Amazon Wind Farm Texas — is now up and running, adding more than 1,000,000 MWh of clean energy to the grid each year.
To-date, the e-commerce goliath says it has launched 18 wind and solar projects across the U.S., and has more than 35 additional projects in the pipeline. Together, Amazon said these projects "support hundreds of jobs and provide tens of millions of dollars of investment in local communities across the country."
In celebration of the wind farm beginning operations, Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezo posted to Twitter a video of himself standing atop one of the turbines, "christening" the project by smashing a bottle of champagne over it. Amazon Wind Farm Texas includes more than 100 turbines, each of them more than 300 feet tall with a rotor diameter more than twice the wingspan of a Boeing 787.
The 253-MW project, first announced in September 2016, is built, owned, and operated by Lincoln Clean Energy. Amazon is purchasing 90% of the project's output; storage and information company Iron Mountain Inc. has contracted for the remaining 10% through a power purchase agreement.
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
- Insights from the 2019 Innovation Summit
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business