Industrial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - July 25, 2019
Ball Corp. signs for 161 MW of wind
Ball Corporation has signed a 15-year virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) for 161 MW of the Frontier Windpower II project in Kay County, Okla. Full mobilization for construction for Frontier II will occur later this summer, and the wind project will be fully operational by December 2020.
The project is an expansion of Duke Energy Renewables’ Frontier Windpower, which has been operational since 2016. Once complete, Frontier I, at 350 MW, and II, at 200 MW, will generate a total of 550 MW of wind energy, enough to power approximately 193,000 homes, according to a statement.
“The renewable energy agreement with Duke Energy Renewables places Ball among the leading corporate buyers of renewable energy in our industry and the U.S., marking a critical moment in our sustainability journey,” said John A. Hayes, chairman, president and CEO of Ball Corporation. “Utilizing renewable energy is an important lever to further enhance the sustainability credentials of our packaging and demonstrates our commitment to have the aluminum can recognized as the most sustainable package.” Ball was advised on the Frontier II VPPA by Schneider Electric Energy and Sustainability Services, which assisted the company in its project selection and negotiations.
According to the statement from Duke Energy Renewables, another major corporation has signed a VPPA for an additional 160 MW and will be announced later this year.
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable packaging solutions for beverage, personal care, and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government.
- Webinar: Microgrid-as-a-Service: A New Approach to Solve Resiliency, Efficiency, Sustainability Challenges
- Today’s Leaders. Tomorrow’s Heroes: Adam Shalapin, Ball Corporation
- VPPA a first for Sprint
- Missouri city plans large-scale efficiency upgrades
- Univ. of Notre Dame to upgrade energy management system
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey