Energy Storage, Commercial, Solar - July 2, 2020
Cox Communications installs solar + battery system
Cox Communications announced June 29 that they are building an integrated 360 kW solar and 560 kW onsite behind-the-meter battery storage project at their primary corporate office in San Diego.
The project will be designed and built through a partnership with EDF Renewables North America. The carport and rooftop solar installation are expected to offset more than 374 tons of carbon annually.
“Sustainability, and driving positive environmental change, are core to the way Cox does business. We’re excited our largest California facility is spearheading the use of solar power and battery storage to reduce our carbon footprint in the region,” Sam Attisha, Senior Vice President and Region Manager for Cox Communications in California, said in a statement. “This solar project will generate almost 20% of the building energy usage and moves us closer to Cox Enterprise’s goal of sending zero waste to landfills by 2024 and to being carbon and water neutral by 2044.”
The battery storage system will allow the company to lower their utility demand charges by mitigating spikes in usage and shifting the solar generation into the evening on-peak period of expensive power.
- Cox Communications Adds Onsite Solar and Battery Energy System in San Diego
- Solar and Electric Vehicles (EVs): What is there to know?
- Calif. community choice aggregation program sources from new solar project
- Verizon signs 13 renewable energy agreements
- German chemical producer BASF agrees to source 55 MW of solar power