Commercial, Sourcing Renewables - July 7, 2020
Cargill adds 10 new projects to RE portfolio
Cargill announced July 7 ten new renewable energy projects around the world that are expected to come online next year and will reduce their carbon emissions by approximately 350,000 metric tons per year.
In North America, the food producer signed agreements with MP2 Energy to power six facilities in central Texas with solar power and with Geronimo Energy for the Prairie Wolf Solar Project in Illinois. Additionally, Cargill’s Timpie, Utah, plant will offset 95% of its electrical consumption for the next several years with RECs from a local solar developer.
Cargill also will be participating in the Xcel Energy Solar Rewards Community Program, which will support local solar gardens and give the company a utility bill credit.
The company also completed renewable energy projects in Chile, Brazil, Colombia, the Netherlands and India.
Cargill intends for these clean energy projects to help them achieve their goal of reducing overall emissions from operations between 2017 and 2025 and reducing emissions in their supply chains by 30% between 2017 and 2030.
“To help us meet our climate commitments, we’re focused on operating more efficiently, pursuing emissions-reducing technology and investing in renewable energy to power our operations or offset our emissions,” Jill Kolling, Vice President of Sustainability at Cargill, said in a statement. “We continue to invest in renewable energy projects to change the way we power our operations, harnessing the innovative, economic, and environmental benefits of renewable power.”
Among Cargill's new projects are:
- Solar farm in Texas
- Illinois Solar Project with Geronimo Energy
- Utah Land REC Swap
- Supporting Community Solar in Minnesota and New York
- Wind Project in Chile
- Brazil Wind Farm
- Solar Project in Colombia
- Solar Project in the Netherlands
- Renewable energy project in India
Today's Leaders. Tomorrow's Heroes.
The George Washington University
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset