Commercial, Solar - October 20, 2020
Westfield completes onsite solar at three locations
Three Westfield shopping centers will now be powered by onsite solar after individual installations went live at each respective location.
Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield (URW) announced Oct. 19 that construction of these solar installations was completed at Westfield Valley Fair in Silicon Valley, Westfield UTC in San Diego and Westfield Garden State Plaza in Paramus, N.J. Each individual site received systems with capacities of 2.5 MW, 1.2 MW and 1.3 MW, respectively.
The installations were completed by Pacific Gas and Electric, San Diego Gas and Electric and Public Service Enterprise Group. Over 10,000 solar panels were installed in total across the three projects.
“Our solar panel arrays are a demonstration of URW’s abiding commitment to the communities we serve and to protecting our environment for future generations—while also constituting a clear competitive factor for our own success,” Paul Kurzawa, U.S. EVP Operations for URW, said in a statement.
At this point, URW powers seven shopping centers in the U.S. with solar energy and has a total solar capacity of over 10.6 MW. It is estimated that these installations could, in total, reduce CO2 emissions by approximately 11,800 metric tons annually.
URW has implemented other sustainability projects at its shopping centers, such as LED retrofits and EV infrastructure. The company is currently pursuing a 50% reduction in carbon emissions globally by 2030 and at this point has purchased enough RECs to achieve a 50% emissions reduction in its U.S. locations in 2020.
- Chamber of Commerce backs San Diego's 100% renewable energy goal
- Nearly 30% of PG&E's retail electricity is renewable, company says
- Westfield teams up on rooftop solar project at LA shopping center
- $1.3 billion from California, NJ, NY for EV infrastructure
- San Diego’s historic Balboa Park awarded LEED for Communities certification
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness