Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - October 4, 2022
Rivian Adds Solar Parking Canopy
Rivian added a 783 kW DC solar parking canopy at its state-of-the-art EV manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The company partnered with ForeFront Power to develop the project.
The solar canopy is equipped with Rivian EV chargers to make up the Rivian manufacturing plant’s outbound Solar Charging Yard.
“We’ve flipped the switch on the Solar Charging Yard in Normal,” said Rivian in a statement. “ It uses our Rivian DC Fleet System to charge 72 vehicles at once. We’re also working to install a 2.8-megawatt wind turbine, which means soon, R1 vehicles will get their first charge entirely from on-site renewables.”
As part of Rivian’s pledge to reach net zero by 2040, the project is expected to generate 1.04 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of renewable electricity annually, and it will help Rivian avoid emitting approximately 800 tons of CO2 per year.
Rivian’s Solar Charging Yard came online in September 2022. Together with the forthcoming wind turbine on the east side of the manufacturing plant, the Solar Charging Yard will help power new R1 vehicles completely with clean energy for their first charge, before they are delivered to Rivian customers.
- Climate Action Plans and Emissions Reduction Plans Defined
- Zero Energy Building Highlight: Houston Advanced Research Center
- Case Study: Federal Aviation Administration —Oklahoma City, OK
- Electricity 2024: Analysis and Forecast to 2026
- Case Study: Marriott Infrastructure Resilience & Adaptation (MIRA) Program