Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - December 20, 2019
Facebook signs on additional 125 MW for Ga. data center
Facebook will be adding an additional 125 MW of solar energy to its portfolio of facilities providing power to its Newton County, Ga., data center in pursuit of its goal to power the facility with 100% renewable energy.
Walton Electric Membership Corporation executed an agreement with Silicon Ranch on behalf of Facebook for power from the 25 MW Appling Solar Farm in Appling County and 100 MW Lumpkin Solar Farm in Stewart County. The projects are expected to come online in late 2020 and 2022, respectively.
"We are committed to supporting all of Facebook's operations with 100 percent renewable energy, and we are thrilled to have strong partners such as Walton EMC and Silicon Ranch to help us achieve that ambitious goal for the Newton Data Center," Urvi Parekh, Head of Renewable Energy at Facebook, said in a statement. "We are proud to partner with them again for these new projects, which will bring additional investment to rural Georgia and strengthen the solar market in the region."
The newest agreement with Walton EMC, announced Dec. 19, comes just one week after the utility flipped the switch on a solar project in Early County, Ga., which will be supplying the data center with power. A month prior, Facebook also signed an agreement with a 107 MW solar facility in Jeff Davis County with the intention to feed the power to the Newton County data center.
All these agreements, completed in partnership with Walton EMC, are with solar projects constructed, owned and maintained by Silicon Ranch.
- 200 MW solar allocated to Facebook data center
- Facebook launches Ga. solar farm to power data center
- Facebook’s newest data center will be 100% RE
- Facebook’s first direct investment in RE; Shell to share RECs
- Facebook signs PPA to power TX ops
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Corporate PPAs to account for 20% of new RE generation in the U.S. by 2030
- The Home Depot inks PPA with solar + storage in Texas
- Intel to receive 100 MW from new Arizona solar project
- Finding Balance: The Yin and Yang of Sustainable Energy Management
- Driving Resiliency Through Your Organization's Energy Infrastructure
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 2: Long-Term Decarbonization Strategies
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Summer Edition
- Integrated Renewable Energy - A Simpler Renewable Solution