Industrial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - February 22, 2019
Ford signs green tariff for locally-sourced wind
Ford Motor Company will soon power several of its Michigan facilities with 100% locally sourced renewable energy. The company also plans to announce a new Global Carbon Reduction Strategy, which will focus on renewable energy in conjunction with the launch of the company’s 20th annual Sustainability Report in June.
“Ford supports the implementation of renewable energy where the project can be tied to the customer’s facility, either directly or through the local distribution utility, and we believe that supports local jobs, improves the local environment and adds resiliency to the local grid,” said George Andraos, Ford global director of energy and technology, in a statement. “This project is a great investment for the State of Michigan and will have direct impact on our state.”
Specifically, Ford plans to use local renewable energy for its Dearborn Truck Plant, Michigan Assembly Plant, and several new building on the Food Research and Engineering Campus and Corktown campus with 100% locally sourced renewable energy. This is in addition to the 500-kilowatt solar photovoltaic panel system already in place at Michigan Assembly.
The statement noted, “This collaboration is part of a commitment by Ford to a substantial renewable energy procurement through DTE Energy’s MIGreenPower program, supporting the company’s Southeast Michigan portfolio and providing 500,000 megawatt hours of locally sourced Michigan wind energy.” In January, DTE received approval from the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) to expand its voluntary renewable offerings to include a tariff designed specifically for large corporate and industrial customers. Ford is the first company to announce involvement with this new tariff.
- DTE Electric rate request would lower bills for C&I customers
- GM, DTE Energy complete 900-kW solar project
- Detroit offers businesses $7k for efficiency upgrades
- Michigan energy reform maintains customer choice program, increased renewable energy mandate
- GM, others mull utility wind, solar energy program
- A Guide to IFRS Accounting for VPPAs
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Winter Edition
- Iron Mountain Data Centers aces the Better Buildings Challenge
- Challenging Channels: Creativity and Competition
- SED Pulse Survey: COVID-19's Impact on Sustainability Goals and Workplace Restart