Sourcing Renewables - April 15, 2020
Ann Arbor submits order for more EVs for city employees
The City Council of Ann Arbor, Mich., voted to purchase 10 new electric vehicles for city employees as part of their initiative to get the city to carbon neutrality by 2030.
Ann Arbor recently announced its A2Zero plan, which details its strategy for achieving this carbon-neutral goal. Alongside the purchase of these new electric vehicles, the city is considering an ordinance to increase EV parking and charging stations in new developments, MLive reported.
The city has previously established a goal to reduce the actual vehicle miles traveled by at least 50% by 2030 and have advocated for alternative means of transportation like mass transit, walking, cycling and driving EVs. They also established in their A2Zero plan a goal to convert half of private vehicle fleets to EVs by 2030 and estimates spending $4 million to buy more EVs for city workers and invest $42 million into EV charging infrastructure. This would require installing over 1,250 chargers throughout the community starting in 2021.
The city will be buying 10 new 2020 Chevy Bolts from the Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids for $32,779 apiece. It has been purchasing other EVs for city employees since 2018 in an effort to begin the transition to an electric fleet. Another piece of legislation that has been introduced to City Council would establish EV readiness requirements for different types of buildings throughout the city as new developments get built, ranging from EV Capable, EV Ready and EV Installed, where chargers are actually installed in development.
Going forward, the city hopes to switch 90% of their fleet to EVs by 2025, with the remaining 10% being medium- and heavy-duty vehicles for which the city expects there won’t be electric options.
- A Guide to IFRS Accounting for VPPAs
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Winter Edition
- Iron Mountain Data Centers aces the Better Buildings Challenge
- Challenging Channels: Creativity and Competition
- SED Pulse Survey: COVID-19's Impact on Sustainability Goals and Workplace Restart