Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Energy Storage - August 8, 2019
Calif. school district to save $5.7 million with energy storage
Downey Unified School District in Downey, Calif. announced the installation and deployment of 3.5 MW/ 7 MWh of battery energy storage systems at seven school sites throughout the district.
“Our Board of Education is always looking for creative ways to save money and energy storage will provide our district with utility cost savings,” said Downey Unified Superintendent Dr. John Garcia in a statement. “Installing energy storage will not only reduce our energy bills significantly this year, it will assist for years to come.”
ENGIE Storage installed and will operate the storage system using its GridSynergy® software. According to the statement, Downey Unified’s use of the battery storage systems will cut its electricity bills by reducing demand charges, which are assessed based on spikes in electricity usage caused by air conditioning and stadium lighting, as two examples, at three high schools, one middle school, and three elementary schools.
California typically has the highest demand charges in the U.S. and average demand charges by California Investor Owned Utilities have increased, on average, nearly 80% over the past decade. Downey Unified is expected to save more than $5.7 million over the lifetime of the system, which was funded through the use of Proposition 39 dollars.
- Webinar replay: The Evolving State of the 3Ds: Digitization, Decentralization, and Decarbonization
- Starbucks teams up for local power in Texas
- Microsoft announces 230 MW renewables purchase
- White paper: The Formula Forward for Sustainable Energy Solutions
- Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum powered by RECs
Get Part 2 from Richard Heath plus free thought leadership from experts at Insight Energy
- Green Lease Leaders: How Industrial Building Owners Use the Lease to Optimize Sustainable Business Practices
- Google Environmental Report 2019
- Webinar replay: Why finance should lead sustainability efforts
- Future Proof Your Business with integrated Storage, Solar, and Smart EV Charging
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society