Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Solar - August 15, 2019
Wynn Resorts celebrates energy independence
Wynn Resorts’ 160-acre solar facility now offsets 75% of Wynn Las Vegas’ peak demand during the summer months, and an even greater percentage during off-peak months. The location is also producing solar power on-site directly from a behind-the-meter rooftop solar array.
The renewable energy generated by the 103,000 square feet of solar panels at Wynn Las Vegas and by the Wynn Solar Facility, located at Stillwater in northern Nevada, eliminated an estimated 33,734 metric tons of carbon emissions in 2018.
These results were celebrated in the recently released Wynn Resorts’ 2018 Environmental, Social and Governance Report which stated, “By becoming more energy independent, Wynn Las Vegas has proven that renewable energy can benefit our bottom line while also reducing our carbon emission.”
Among the achievements highlighted in the report:
- 143 million kWh of energy saved since Wynn Las Vegas transitioned to LED lighting
- 390,000 kilometers driven by electric buses in Wynn Macau to offset diesel consumption
- Creation of Wynn Resorts Department for Corporate Energy and Sustainability that aligns the Company's global approach to environmental protection. Erik Hansen was appointed Wynn’s first Chief Sustainability Officer, responsible for developing the company's global sustainability goals and implementing systems that impact the operation of every part of each Wynn resort, focused on areas including recycling, responsible sourcing, waste reduction, energy procurement, water conservation, and more.
In a forward to the report, Wynn Resorts CEO Matt Maddox remarked, "For us, sustainability is more than just finding efficiencies to the economic, environmental, and social issues we face. It is about creating an open dialogue, learning from diverse perspectives, and changing with the times. Listening to the needs of our employees, investors, business partners, and community partners was an important part of this process. In 2018, Wynn Resorts implemented significant new policies and programs toward our journey of improving the way we govern, manage, and operate."
Industry News: SED's Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum goes VIRTUAL July 27-29, 2020
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World