Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - May 13, 2020
Iron Mountain sees 52% emissions drop
Iron Mountain succeeded this year in reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 52% since 2016, surpassing their original target of 25% reduction before 2025, and reached 77% renewable energy in their global electricity supply.
The information management company recently released their 2019 Corporate Responsibility Report, which included more information about their sustainability successes. In 2019, Iron Mountain was named a top 25 U.S. buyer of renewable energy and was recognized with the U.S. DOE Better Buildings Goal Achiever Award. Iron Mountain is also a member of RE100 and is committed to achieving 100% renewable energy by 2050. By the end of 2019, most sites in Connecticut, New York and Ohio were covered 100% with renewable energy, as well at their locations in the U.K., Ireland, the Netherlands and Belgium. France and Germany's operations are expected to be 100% renewable energy-powered by the end of 2020.
The company completed 105,000 LED lighting upgrades and now has 11 electric vehicles operating in Europe. Moving forward, Iron Mountain now aims to reduce Scope 1 emissions 20% by 2025.
"Our values not only strengthened our ESG achievements across 2019, but today they continue to drive our response to the COVID-19 pandemic," William L. Meaney, president and chief executive officer of Iron Mountain, said in a statement. "For us, sustainability is in every corner of our business, from caring for our employees across the world to delivering innovative digitally forward solutions for our customers, and optimizing our business to continue to make a positive impact on the environment."
Other achievements in the last year include the launch of their Green Power Pass program, which was set in place to ensure that 100% of the energy used at their data centers comes from renewable sources, which has been the case since 2017. Their increased Secure IT Asset Disposition offerings also enable customers to dispose of old IT assets in a lower-carbon way.
- Case study: Scaling renewables to match the enterprise
- Webinar: Reinventing renewable energy procurement for C&I companies
- Iron Mountain moves towards goal with wind PPA
- The secret behind Iron Mountain’s long-term strategy for setting a Science-Based Target? A phase-based approach.
- Iron Mountain signs largest on-site solar PPA
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey