Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Industrial, Utilities - February 5, 2016
Plastipak earns $1M in energy efficiency rebates from local utility
Plastic goods manufacturer Plastipak recently became the second company to earn more than $1 million in energy efficiency rebates from utility Dayton Power & Light, an AES Corp. subsidiary. Plastipak is pursuing energy efficiency initiatives across its global operations, part of a growing trend among commercial and industrial businesses.
Supported by DP&L's energy efficiency team, Plastipak’s Jackson Center packaging plant in Ohio significantly increased the energy efficiency of its heating ventilation and air conditioning, or HVAC, compressed air system, and motors and drives, according to a news release. Switching from an air to a water cooled chiller allowed Plastipak to save more than three million kilowatt hours of electricity per year; installing a 500-ton cooling tower will save more than four million kilowatt hours annually. Plastipak said it received nearly $600,000 in rebates just for these two projects.
Total plant-wide improvements at Plastipak’s Jackson Center site are expected to realize a total of more than 18 million kilowatt hours per year in energy savings.
Here is a breakdown of the specific energy savings programs undertaken at the plant and how much they saved:
- Heating ventilation and air conditioning: 7,404,995 kWh ($600,000 rebates)
- Compressed air: 2,127,087 kWh ($106,000 rebates)
- Motors and drives: 3,198,011 kWh ($68,000 rebates)
- Lighting: 2,879,775 kWh ($83,000 rebates)
- Other programs: 2,491,241 kWh ($143,000 rebates)
"Plastipak is taking the necessary steps across their facility making energy efficiency and the environment a priority and today, we celebrate the realization of those efforts," Tom Raga, DP&L's President and CEO said in the release. "When Plastipak’s business leaders alongside their associates implement creative solutions for their energy costs we all save. DP&L is proud to partner with Plastipak’s management team and recognize the achievement of $1 million in total energy efficient rebates."
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- SED's Net Zero Forum Wrap-Up
- General Motors, 24/7 Carbon-Free Matching, and Community Solar Added to REF Agenda
- Weekend Reads: How to Limit the Cost of the Energy Transition; The Trouble with NYC EV Charging
- Saint-Gobain Signs PPA for 145 Sites