Commercial, Energy Efficiency - March 14, 2016
PNC building makes energy efficiency upgrades
PNC Plaza, a 24-story building on East Broad Street in Columbus, Ohio, is getting $3.3 million in upgrades to its roof, lighting, air controls and water supply that will be financed using public funds set aside for green energy projects, The Columbus Dispatch reported March 10.
These types of deals have been gaining traction in commercial renewable energy applications and have been used for residential energy efficiency upgrade projects for years.
"The idea is that it’s a wash in terms of this new debt because you should be reducing your energy costs by what we hope is a like amount,” Jean Carter Ryan, the Columbus-Franklin County Finance Authority’s president told The Columbus Dispatch.
The upgrades should save about $187,000 a year, she added.
Building owner Arthur Goldner & Associates will repay the authority through a special assessment on the property, according to the newspaper.
Franklin Country is loaning the property owners $400,000, which will be repaid over 15 years at a 4.5 percent interest rate. The remaining funds will come from bonds the finance authority sold, according to the Dispatch article.
“There is an economic development opportunity in providing all of our citizens with a better quality of life. In this particular case, it’s the idea of energy efficiency,” James Schimmer, the county’s economic development director, reportedly said.
This is an important trend to watch as similar opportunities open up for commercial businesses in other cities around the country.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness