Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - June 6, 2016
Hasbro, Nike, Hershey top Newsweek's 2016 Green Rankings
Hasbro Inc. was recently named by Newsweek as the highest ranked U.S. company by corporate sustainability and environmental impact.
Newsweek's 2016 Green Rankings, done in partnership with Corporate Knights, HIP Investor Inc. and others, rank the 500 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. by market capitalization on one list, as well as the 500 largest publicly traded companies globally by market capitalization in a separate list. The companies are scored based on performance on eight specific indicators, including energy and greenhouse gas emission productivity, separately, as well as whether or not the companies have mechanisms in place that link senior executive pay to corporate environmental performance.
On the U.S.-only list, Hasbro was followed by Nike Inc. and The Hershey Co. NVIDIA Corp. and Biogen Inc. rounded out the top five, followed by Ecolab Inc., Rockwell Automation Inc., Metlife Inc. Coca-Cola Enterprises and Oracle Corp. On the global list, Nike was the only U.S. company to crack the top ten; the company's significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions throughout its business was listed as a notable accomplishment.
Nike has been working toward inventing closed-loop products; moving to 100% renewable energy; pioneering a manufacturing revolution that puts workers’ voices at the heart of the business model; and fostering a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture that unleashes innovation. Nike has embraced sustainable innovation as a powerful engine for growth and a catalyst for change—not only for its own business, but across industries. and is setting aggressive targets to achieve a 25 percent decrease in carbon emissions per unit in key operations by 2020.
The full rankings can be found over at Newsweek, here.
- Nike signs its first PPA in Europe
- Hershey aims to cut the carbon footprint of its chocolate with new Science-Based Target commitment
- Nike heads toward 100% RE with new PPA
- Hasbro sets renewable energy, carbon neutrality target
- Nike targets supply chain with massive logistics center run entirely on renewables
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Delta Force - Driving Energy Efficiency at UVA
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Innovation Summit Presentation: The Evolution of Sustainable Operations at Bloomberg
- Michigan State's long-term view on renewable energy
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Collaboration Enables Merck to Take a Huge, Sustainable Leap Forward